75. Return of income.-
1[(1) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (2), every person shall file or cause to be filed, with the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes, a return of income of the income year-
[(a) if the total income of the person during the income year exceeds the maximum amount that is not chargeable to tax under this Ordinance; or
(b) if such person was assessed to tax for any one of the three years immediately preceding that income year; or
(c) if the person is-
(i) a company; or
(ii) a non-government organization registered with NGO Affairs Bureau; or
(iii) a co-operative society; or
(iv) a firm; or
(v) an association of persons; or
(vi) a shareholder director or a shareholder employee of a company; or
(vii) a partner of a firm; or
(viii) an employee of the government or an authority corporation, body or units of the government or formed by any law, order or instrument being in force, if the employee, at any time in the income year, draws a basic salary of taka sixteen thousand or more; or
(ix) 2[an employee holding an executive or a management position in a business or profession; or]
(d) if the person, not being an institution established solely for charitable purpose or a fund, has an income during the income year which is subject to tax exemption or lower tax rate under section 44; or
(e) if the person, at any time during the relevant income year fulfills any of the following conditions, namely:-
(i) owns a motor car; or
(ii) owns a membership of a club registered under 3[any law governing value added tax]
(iii) runs any business or profession having trade license from a city corporation, a paurashava or a union parishad; or
(iv) has registered with a recognized professional body as a doctor, dentist, lawyer, chartered accountant, cost and management accountant, engineer, architect or surveyor or any other similar profession; or
(v) has registered with the Board as an income tax practitioner; or
(vi) has a membership of a chamber of commerce and industries or a trade association or body; or
(vii) runs for an office of any paurashava, city corporation, or a Member of Parliament;
(viii) participates in a tender floated by the government, semi-government, autonomous body or a local authority; or
(ix) serves in the board of directors of a company or a group of companies:
Provided that any non-resident Bangladeshi may file his return of income along with bank draft equivalent to the tax liability, if any, on the basis of such return, to his nearest Bangladesh mission and the mission will issue a receipt of such return with official seal and send the return to the Board.
(2) A return of income shall not be mandatory for-
(i) an educational institution receiving government benefits under Monthly Payment Order (MPO); or
(ii) a public university; or
(iii) a fund; or
(iv) any class of persons which the Board, by order in official gazette, exempt from filing the return.
(3)Subject to the provision of sub-section (4), the return under sub-section (1) shall be-
(a) furnished in the prescribed form setting forth therein such particulars and information, and accompanied by such schedules, statements, accounts, annexures or documents as may be prescribed;
(b) signed and verified-
(i) in the case of an individual, by the individual himself where the individual is absent from Bangladesh, by the individual concerned or by some person duly authorized by him in this behalf; and when the individual is mentally incapacitated from attending to his affairs, by his guardian or by any other person competent to act on his behalf;
(ii) in the case of a Hindu undivided family, by the Karta, and, where the Karta is absent from Bangladesh or is mentally incapacitated from attending to his affairs, by any other adult member of such family;
(iii) in the case of a company or a local authority, by the principal officer thereof;
(iv) in the case of a firm, by any partner thereof, not being a minor;
(v) in the case of any other association, by any member of the association or the principal officer thereof;
(vi) in the case of any other person, by that person or by any person competent to act on his behalf;
(c) accompanied by-
(i) in the case of individual, statements of assets, liabilities and life style as required under section 80;
(ii) in the case of a company, an audited statement of accounts and a computation sheet explaining the difference between the profit or loss shown in the statement of accounts and the income shown in the return.
(4) The Board may, by notification in the official Gazette,-
(a) specify that any return required to be filed under this section shall be filed electronically or in any other machine readable or computer readable media;
(b) specify the form and the manner in which such electronic, machine readable or computer readable returns shall be filed.
(5) Every return under this section shall be filed, unless the date is extended under sub-section (6), on or before the Tax Day:
Provided that an individual being Government official engaged in highere 4[ducation or training on deputation or leave] or employed under lien outside Bangladesh shall file return or returns for the period of such deputation or lien, at a time, within three months from the date of this return to Bangladesh.
(6) The last date for the submission of a return for a person may be extended by the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes upon the application by the person in the prescribed form:
Provided that the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes may extend the date up to two months from the date so specified and he may further extend the date up to two months with the approval of the Inspecting Joint Commissioner.]
1 Subs. by F.A. 2016
2 Subs. by F.A. 2017
3 Subs. by F.A. 2017
4 Subs. by F.A. 2017
1[75AA. Audit of the return of withholding tax.-
(1) The Deputy Commissioner of Taxes, with the approval of the Board, shall select number of returns of withholding tax filed under section 75A for audit.
(2) The Deputy Commissioner of Taxes shall conduct the audit of the selected return in respect of the following matters-
(a) whether the tax has been deducted or collected at the rate, in the amount and in the manner as provided in Chapter VII of this Ordinance and the rules made there under;
(b) whether the tax collected or deducted has been paid to the credit of the Government, or has been paid in accordance with the manner and within the time as prescribed;
(c) whether the certificate of tax deduction or collection has been furnished in accordance with the provisions of this Ordinance.
(3) Where an audit under sub-section(2) results in findings that the provisions of this Ordinance in respect of the matters mentioned in clauses (a),(b)or (c) of sub-section(2)have not complied with, the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes conducting the audit may take necessary actions under this Ordinance, including the actions under sections 57,57A and 124.
(4) No return shall be selected for audit after the expiry of four years from the end of the year in which the return was filed.]
1 Subs by F. A. 2016
[75A. Return of withholding tax.-
1[(1) Every person, being a company, shall file or cause to be filed, with the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes where he is being assessed, a return of withholding tax collected or deducted as per provisions of Chapter VII of this Ordinance.
(2) The return under sub-section (1) shall be-
(a) furnished in the prescribed form setting forth therein such particulars and information, and accompanied by such schedules statements, accounts, annexures or documents as may be prescribed;
(b) signed and verified in the manner as specified in 2[clause (b)] of sub-section(3) of section 75;
(c) filed half-yearly by the following dates-
(i) First return: by Thirty-first January of the year in which the deduction or collection was made;
(ii) Second return: by Thirty-first July of the next year following the year in which the deduction or collection was made:
Provided that the last date for the submission of a return a specified in this sub-section may be extended by the Deputy Commissioner of taxes upto fifteen days from the date so specified.
(3) The Board may, be notification in the official Gazette,-
(a) specify 3[the cases in which the] return required to be filed under this section shall be filed electronically or in any other machine readable or computer readable media;
(b) specify the form and the manner in which such electronic machine readable or computer readable returns shall be filed.
1 Subs by F.A. 2016
2 Subs by F.A. 2017
3 Subs by F.A. 2017
75B. Obligation to furnish Annual Information Return.-
(1) Government may, by notification in the official gazette, require any person or group of persons responsible for registering or maintaining books of account or other documents containing a record of any specified financial transaction, under any law for the time being in force, to furnish an Annual Information Return, in respect of such specified financial transaction.
(2) The Annual Information Return referred to in sub-section (1) shall be furnished to the Board or any other income tax authority or agency, in such form, manner and within such time as may be prescribed.
75C. Concurrent jurisdiction.- Board may,-
by general or a special order in writing, direct that in respect of all or any proceedings relating to receiving of return of income and issuance of acknowledgement thereof in accordance with the provisions of section 75, 77, 78, 89(2), 91(3) or 93(1), the powers and functions of the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes shall be concurrently exercised by such other authority as may be specified by the Board.]
1[76. Certificate in place of return.-
Where the entire total income of an assessee during the income year consisted of income classifiable under the head "Salaries" or any other income from which the full amount of tax payable by him has been deducted, such assessee may, instead of filing a return under section 75, file a certificate in such form as may be prescribed accompanied, where applicable, by a statement referred to in section 75 (2) (d) ; and the certificate and statement so filed shall be deemed for all purposes of this Ordinance to be a return and statement filed under that section.
1 Deleted By F.A 2016
77. Notice for filing return.-
1[(1) The Deputy Commissioner of Taxes may, at any time after expiry of the date specified in section 75, by a notice in writing, require-
(a) any person, other than a company, to file a return of his total income as provided in that section if, in the opinion of the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes the total income of such person was, during the income year, of such amount as to render liable to tax;
(b) any company to file a return of its total income, if it is not filed.]
(2) The return under sub-section (1) shall be filed within such period, not being less than 2[twenty-one days], as may be specified in the notice or within such extended period as the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes may allow.
1Subs. by F.A. 2001
2Subs. for "thirty days" by F.A. 1992
78. Filing of revised return.-
Any person who has not filed a return as required by section 75 or 77 or who, having filed return, discovers any omission or incorrect statement therein, may, without prejudice to any liability which he may have incurred on this account, file a return or a revised return, as the case may be, at any time before the assessment is made.
79. Production of accounts and documents, etc.- (1) The Deputy Commissioner of Taxes may by notice in writing require an assessee, who has filed a return under Chapter VIII or to whom a notice has been issued to file a return, to produce or cause to be produced such accounts, statements, documents, data or electronic records, not being earlier than three years prior to the income year, as he may consider necessary for the purpose of audit or assessment under this Ordinance.
(2) The Deputy Commissioner of Taxes may specify in the notice that the accounts, statements, documents, data or electronic records or any part thereof shall be produced in such electronic form or by such electronic media as may be mentioned in the notice.
(3) The accounts, statements, documents, data or electronic records shall be produced on or before the date as may be specified in the notice.
(4) In this section-
(a) “return” includes a revised return or an amended return;
(b) “data” includes “ উপাত্ত” as defined in clause (10) of section 2 of তথ্য ও যোগাযোগ প্রযুক্তি আইন, ২০০৬(২০০৬ সনের ৩৯নং আইন) ;
(c) “electronic record” and “electronic form” shall have the same meaning as assigned to “ ইলেকট্রনিক রেকর্ড ”and “ ইলেকট্রনিক বিন্যাস” respectively in clauses (7) and (5) of
section 2 of তথ্য ও যোগাযোগ প্রযুক্তি আইন, ২০০৬(২০০৬ সনের ৩৯নং আইন)." |
1Ins. by F.A. 2007
79. Production of accounts and documents.-
The Deputy Commissioner of Taxes may, by notice in writing, require an assessee who has filed a return under section 75, or to whom a notice has been issued under section 77, to produce or cause to be produced 1[such accounts, statements and documents] on such date as may be specified in the notice, such accounts, statements and documents including those relating to any period, not being earlier than three years prior to the income year, as he may consider necessary for the purposeof making an assessment under this Ordinance.
1Ins. by F.A. 2002
1[Statements of assets, liabilities and life style].-
2[(1) Every person, being an individual assessee, shall furnish statements in the forms and manners as prescribed in respect of the total assets, liabilities and expenses of the person or the spouse, minor children and dependents of the person as on the last date of the income year if the person-
(a) has, in the last date of the income year, a gross wealth exceeding taka 3[twentyfive] lakh; or
(b) owns a motor car; or
(c) has made an investment in a house property or an apartment in the city corporation area:
Provided any person, being an individual assessee, who is not required to submit the statement mentioned in this sub-section may voluntarily submit such statement.
(2) Every person, being an individual assessee, shall furnish statements in the forms and manners as prescribed, a statement of expenses relating to the life style of such person:
Provided that an individual, not being a shareholder director of a company, having income from salary or from business or profession may opt not to submit such statement if his total income does not exceed three lakh taka in the income year.
(3) Where any statement as mentioned in sub-section(1) is not submitted by a person being an individual, the Deputy Commissioner of Taxes may require, by notice in writing, to submit the same by person within the time as mentioned in the notice.]
1 Subs. for "Statement of assets and liabilities" by F.A. 2005
2Ins. by F.A. 2002
3Ins. by F.A. 2017