6. Time and method of payment.-
(1) Value added tax on imported goods shall be paid at the same time and in the same manner as import duty is paid in accordance with the provisions of the Customs Act and the rules made thereunder, as if it were an import duty under that Act, and in order to control any matter related to the value added tax or as the case may be, supplementary duty, the said Act, and the rules orders or instructions made or issued thereunder shall, subject to the rules, orders or instructions if any, made or issued under this Act, apply, so far as practicable, to value added tax or, as the case may be, supplementary duty in the manner they apply to import duty.
(2) Value added tax on goods manufactured or produced for carrying out or for expansion of business or on goods imported, purchased, acquired or procured in any manner by a registered or registerable person shall be payable at the time of any of the following activities, whichever occurs first, namely:
(a) when the goods are delivered or supplied;
(b) when an invoice relating to supply of goods is issued;
(c) when goods are used for personal purpose or supplied for the use of others; (d) when payment is received either in full or in part.
(3) Value added tax shall be payable when a taxable service is rendered by a registered or registerable person during the operation or expansion of his business at the time of any of the following activities, whichever occurs first, namely:
Page 7 of 39
(a) When the service is rendered;
(b) when a chalanpatra (invoice) to the service is issued; (c) when part or full payment is received.
(d) In case the service is received from beyond the geographical boundary of
Bangladesh, when payment is made in part or in full;
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, the Board may, in accordance with the procedures set by Rules, make provisions for advance payment, including fixation of the time and procedure for payment, of value added tax, or, as the case may be, supplementary duty, on any goods or class of goods or services.
(4a) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (4), the Board may in order to collect value added tax or, as the case may be, value added tax and supplementary duty applicable to any goods or class of goods, direct, by notification in the official Gazette, with effect from the date specified in the notification, on the body of the package or container or holder of the goods to affix stamp or banderol or special sign or mark of particular size and design manifesting measures of security with demonstrating specific value and determine all procedures relating to the use, distribution, preservation, supervision, observation, accounting and packaging of such stamp or banderol or special sign or mark:
Explanation: In this sub-section, `stamp' or 'banderol' shall mean security instrument containing specific colour, design, measurement with security measure as specified by the Board.
(4aa) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, value added tax payable by any service rendering person selected in this behalf by the Government, by notification in the official Gazette, from time to time, shall be collected or deducted at source, in the procedure specified by Board's order, at the time when the person receiving this service or, as the case may be, the person making payment of the value of the service or commission makes such payment and shall be deposited in the Government treasury:
Provided that in a case where, the value added tax payable by any service provider under any foreign aided project, has been collected or deducted and deposited to Government treasury- at the time of payment of service value or commission by a person receiving service or, as the case may be, the person paying the service value or commission and if that service provider appoints any sub-contractor, agent or any other service rendering person, in such case value added tax shall not be collected at source again from such sub-contractor, agent or any other service rendering person appointed by the main service provider, subject to production or submission of documentary evidence of collection or deduction of value added tax and the deposit of the same in the Government treasury.
(4b) The person collecting or deducting value added tax at source in accordance with sub- section (4aa) shall issue, in respect of such realization or deduction, a certificate to the person who renders the service, in accordance with the procedure set by the Board's order in this behalf, which shall include the following information, namely:
(a) registration number of the value added tax payer;
(b) total value or commission paid for the service provided;
C:\Documents and Settings\User1\Desktop\VAT Act (English Version).doc 06.01.11.doc Page 8 of 39
(c) amount of value or commission on which value added tax is assessed; (d) amount of value added tax collected or deducted;
(e) any other information required under the rules.
(4c) None but a registered person can take part in a tender and work order can not be issued in favor of an unregistered person.
(4d) At source VAT deducting authority will deduct 3% of the value payable to the goods or service provider during making payment.
Provided that, when service is received on the basis of actual value addition as per Sub- Section-4 of Section-5, total payable VAT on that basis has to be deducted at source.
(4e) Both at source VAT deducting authority and goods or service provider together will remain responsible for the amount of VAT deducted at source.
(4f) When VAT payable is paid at source partially by the supplier of goods or services against any supply, the will not be absolved to pay the rest amount of VAT.
(5) Tax has to be paid in the following cases, as per the provisions of the Rules, viz: (a) at import stage, with import duty;
(b) at production stage and trading stage, through Current Account and return; and
(c) In case of supply of goods or services in other way, through return.